Roles Of A Family Lawyer
A family lawyer acts as a consultant for a family for all their legal issues. A family can seek advice on various issues that pertain to acts, the law, and interpretation of the constitution. A lawyer who acts in this capacity is able to represent members of a family during court hearings and cases. There are various roles that a family lawyer can be entrusted with including:
- During misunderstandings in a marriage, one of the partners may decide to proceed with a divorce. Filing of a divorce can be instituted by a family lawyer. The process of divorce is not just the mere signing of documents. A family lawyer is able to advise the partners on how they should go about this process in case it is not resolved out of the courts.
- Adoption of children is another role of family lawyers. A lawyer can help a family in the adoption of a child. He or she ensures that the right procedure is followed in regards to adoption. Their legal assistance ascertains that a family knows all the legal obligations that come with adoption.
- A family lawyer offers advice regarding legal matters to a family. Advise that is offered can enable a family to make sound decisions pertaining to family and business matters. A lawyer can shed light on the implications of certain decisions that a family may consider making.
- Storage of important family documents can be done by a family lawyer. Documents such as wills, title deeds, certificates, and log books can be stored with him or her. They become the guardians of such documents so that in the event of a tragedy such as the death of a family member, the lawyer can advise family members with regards to assets.
- A family lawyer can also be involved in matters of abuse within a family. Child abuse and violation of the rights of a child are matters that may need the attention of a family lawyer. Spousal abuse and assault that may be occurring within a family can also require the assistance of a family lawyer. He or she can try to settle the feud amicably or it may end up within the realms of relevant authorities.
A family may opt to hire a lawyer for various reasons. The lawyer is supposed to offer competent legal services and assistance to a family. He or she should be able to advise a family on matters that concern them. He should clearly spell out the implications of various decisions that a family may consider making.
Article by: Edmonton Family Lawyer